Realigning your objectives with available capacity will, in our experience, result in a return of investment in capacity building of ten times improvement in successful execution.
How Do We Arrive at 10X?
We didn’t. This is the feedback we get from clients. They feel that by shifting their focus from strategy to capacity, they experience a ten times growth in what they are successfully executing. Of course, this is a subjective thing. There’s no meaningful way of measuring it objectively, but how would you like to feel that you’re ten times as successful when it comes to execution?
The main leverage opportunity is in what we refer to as metacapacity. This is the capacity to build functional capacity. Yes this jargon is a bit off-putting, but just think about this. We contend most execution failures are rooted in a lack of fundamental capacity to execute a strategy or plan. If you can build metacapacity, that is a way of churning out functional capacity, functional in the sense that it supports execution, then execution improvements will be significant. Moreover, the kind of capacity we’re talking about, by its very nature, supports all forms of execution.
Examples of metacapacity
The items listed here are an essentially random selection of metacapacity examples that would provide at least a 10X leverage if built into your capacity profile:
- Improved perception of what is important in large amounts of information.
- Better selection of the work that requires attention.
- Improved logical reasoning and coordination amidst complex problems.
- Greater confidence that the current project is within your available capacity.
- Significant improvement of information retention and memory.